Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The best thing is often the hardest to do.

My face is wet with tears because someone posted a loving note - someone who has had my class before, someone I managed not to ruin.  How does that happen?  To the writer, I'm humbled by your words seemingly unfit for me, and grateful you were kind enough to tell me I helped rather than hindered you.  I wish you peace in your long journey, wherever it takes you, warning you that being true to yourself is an often lonely but always worthwhile pursuit.  Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes.  And thank you for the grace you gave me.  It meant a great deal to me.

And the best thing?  That isn't what we want to do; it is the thing we avoid, that we are destined for, perhaps, that we're drawn to inexplicably.  The thing we put relationships and medications in the way of, and yet it seeks us, to our dying day it seeks us and is relentless in its murmurings of what's undone.  That nagging thing we fear because it is for us to do alone, and that's the last place we want to be for long.  And yet there it is, glorious and terrifying and waiting - always waiting, without sound, without tiring.  I am lonely right now, trying to look away from it.  But I know why I'm out here by myself.  It hurts, and I'm tired, but I'm not exhausted.  I've known this would happen for years, and now I finally believe that I won't ever get away from it.  No position, no amount of time, no person can remove it.  My job is to surrender to it, to allow it to take me into the words and the paint and trust in what happens.  It isn't up to me, anyway.  "If you're playing too small a game, you'll sabotage the game you're in just to have something to do."  Peter McWilliams.

Shalom.

2 comments:

Patricia ~ The Naked Writer said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. It touched me deeply.
On your profile, you wanted to know what makes me not want to write. Well, the main thing that prevents me from writing is my lack of confidence in myself. Also, the writing arena is so flooded with such brilliance that it hardly seems worth the effort to continue writing my novel that probably will never be published cause I a) don't know anyone in the biz b) never finished high school and c) there's no ending cause i have nothing even remotely uplifting to say!

I have read a bunch of your posts and will now stalk you in a friendly blogger way...see, today is random search day for me where i just pick an obscure thing that I like and see if anyone else likes it and if their blog speaks to me, then I get to follow it...i like this approach, i get to see lots of really wacked off the grid kind of blogs this way. And this is how I got to find your little gem of a blog ;o)
So, today's random search was to see if there were any other people out there who had the movie Synecdoche as their favourite. I wanted to see what kind of bloggers liked it because everyone I know hated that movie or didn't get it yet I was so inspired by it as I am with all of Kauffman's movies. There are only 150 people who have this movie as their favourite either that or only 150 people can spell it, either way...can you believe that?

So, your profile was one of the first to come up and you and I totally like the same kind of movies and books...I know that's a superficial way to start up a blogging friendship but hey, where else are you going to start?
I think you are doing a great job with your site and I am looking forward to reading more soon.
If you like, you can check out my site http://www.thewritingwomb.com if you like it follow, if not, no worries.
Take care, I look forward to stalking you some more soon!

miskra said...

Please forgive my delayed response to your generous comment. You sound like a soulful person, and definitely a fan of the quirky and layered films I adore. Please let me know of anything you've seen or read lately that inspired you.

I also want to encourage you as a writer. Take a chance on finishing your work. Send me something so I can give you feedback. Look for writing groups close to your home so that you might share your work with others who also need validation. Your educational level is incidental. Many people are self taught and are more erudite than those with expensive, lengthy educational resumes. Please do not let that be a reason you don't write.

Your last reason for not writing, not having anything uplifting to say, just isn't true. Simply hearing from you was uplifting. Tell the truth in your writing - the truth under the truth. The optimism and hope will come.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your work. Thank you for the gift of it! :)